The last year has forced many of us to change how and where we work. And as homes have been transformed into offices, it’s become all too easy for clutter to accumulate and the limited space to become a disorganized mess.
Are you trying to make the best use of your home office? There are many space saving office ideas out there, and utilizing the room’s vertical space is one of the most affordable and efficient ways to maximize your square footage and create order from the chaos.
Enter wall mounted desks—the ultimate workspace saver.
By mounting your monitor, keyboard, and workstation, you can turn any room into a spacious office setting and free up some storage space for other items. Curious how to mount a desk to a wall? Whether you’ve already invested in the best wall mounted desk for your office space or you’re still searching, we’ll provide a step-by-step guide for how to mount one of our many wall mountable desk options.
Monitor and Keyboard Wall Mount
The MI-7905 Monitor and Keyboard Wall Mount is compatible with monitors that range between 75mm x 75mm and 100mm x 100mm. It includes a large keyboard tray, a CPU mount, support brackets, and cable management. The detachable VESA plate and single-stud mount makes the entire desk fast and easy to install.
Once installed, all it takes is a finger’s touch to move the position from sitting to standing. Gas spring positions and full-motion mechanisms allow it to swivel, tilt, and rotate for the optimal set up. Specifications include:
- Height adjustment – 19.9 inches
- Monitor tilt – 15 degrees up and down
- Swivel angle – 180 degrees left and right at wall plate and at pole arm
- Extension from the wall – 41" maximum
- Weight capacity – 17.6 lbs for monitor and 2.2 lbs for keyboard tray
Follow the steps below to mount the MI-7905.
We’ll refer to the materials listed in the manual by their assigned alphabetical characters. In addition to these materials, you’ll need a pencil, a leveler, and a power drill with a 70mm long and ⅜ inch wide drill bit.
Attaching the Monitor and Keyboard Mount
To begin, your first task is to mount the section that will hold your monitor and keyboard.
Before you start, try both sitting and standing to identify the ideal mid-range height between the two positions. Once you have a general idea of where you’d like to mount the desk, follow these steps:
- Step 1 – Use the pencil to mark the spot where (A) will eventually hang. After making your mark, drill in (W-B). Follow that by drilling in (W-A) within the anchors, leaving 6mm of space from the wall. Hang (A) over the screw head, slide it down, and then tighten the screw by turning it clockwise. Repeat this process with the four remaining holes until (A) is fully secured to the wall.
- Step 2 – Slide (Dx2) over the upper and lower exposed sections of (A), fully enveloping it.
- Step 3 – Take (B) and remove the attached VESA plate by twisting the singular black bolt at the top of the plate counterclockwise. Place the VESA plate and bolt aside for now.
- Step 4 – Attach (C) to the bottom of (B), using (F) to attach (M-Ax2) to the back, then using (G) to attach (Ex2) to the bottom of the tray.
- Step 5 – Once assembled, attach (CB) to (A) using (F) to screw in (M-Cx4) into the proper slots.
- Step 6 – Take the VESA plate and attach it to the back of your monitor, using a screwdriver and a combination of (M-A) + (M-B) + (M-E) or (M-C) + (M-D) + (M-F). The screw sizes you select will depend upon your monitor.
- Step 7 – Now that the VESA plate is affixed to the monitor, take the original black bolt from Step 3 and reconnect it to (CB) using a clockwise motion. Tighten it as much as possible to ensure that the monitor is secured.
- Step 8 – Straighten out the arm of (CB) so that it’s horizontal, creating a 90 degree angle parallel to the ground. The arm should neither be at an upward nor a downward diagonal. Once it is at the safe and proper position, use (G) to tighten the screw at the top of (A), locking it into position.
- Step 9 – To adjust the height of the monitor twist the knob on the back of (B) counterclockwise. This will loosen the piece, allowing you to slide it to the ideal eye-line. After you’ve set the ideal height, twist the knob clockwise to lock the position in.
- The mount has an adjustable tilt of +15° or -15°. To shift it one way or another, use (G) to loosen up the bolt nug on the side of the mount.
- Similarly, the desk can be canted +4° or -4°. Use (F) on the front facing bolt nug and then adjust to the ideal placement.
Attaching the Desktop Mount
In addition to the monitor and keyboard mount is the desktop mount. To attach this to your wall, follow these steps:
- Step 1 – To make it easier to attach to the wall, take (H) and unscrew the large plastic bolts at the bottom of the base using a counterclockwise motion. This will separate the two parts of the casing.
- Step 2 – Place the section of (H) with three holes in it against the wall where you’d like to mount it. Then use your pencil to mark the spots where you will drill. Once that has been done, drill the holes. Replace (H) in the proper position and then drill (W-Bx3) into the holes. Follow that up by drilling (W-Ax3) into the three anchors.
- Step 3 – Run the straps (Ix2) through the top slots of (H).
- Step 4 – Reattach the two pieces of (H) by screwing in the plastic bolt. Then thread the straps through the front of (H).
- Step 5 – Slide the desktop case into the mount and then tighten the straps to lock it in place.
- Step 6 – Run cords through the lower casing of (A). You may need to unscrew the casing to make the wire fit.
- Step 7 – Position the mounting to your preferred height and angle.
Benefits of a Wall Mounted Desk
Now that you know how to mount a desk, you might be wondering why a wall mount is the optimal route for your office space. The following are just a few of the reasons you should consider it:
- Adjustable – Wall mounted desks can cater to your work habits. If you prefer to sit, stand, or switch from one to the other, that’s possible. With a wall mount system, you can go from sitting to standing in just a few seconds. This ensures that you have the most ergonomically optimal setting whenever you work.
- Reduced neck and back pain – Similarly, with a traditional desk your computer and screen are fixed in one location. Over time, this can cause neck and back pains, especially if they’re in the wrong position; a desk that’s too high or too low will inevitably cause aches, pains, and cricks. By being able to customize your positioning, you can maintain a relaxed and straight-on view.
- Multipurpose – Whether you want to mount your desk at home or at work, you can do that. Wall mounts are commonly used in home offices, and a variety of occupational settings ranging from education to healthcare.
- Space saving – Unlike a traditional desk, wall mounted desks take up very little room. They are neither bulky nor cumbersome. Their minimalistic design ensures that you have plenty of space in any room.
- Easy to set up – Installing your own wall mount takes only a few minutes. Simply follow the steps and you’ll have your very own setup complete in a flash.
- Reduced eye strain – Staring at a screen all day long is hard on the eyes, particularly if it's too close or far away. You can reduce the likelihood of chronic eye strain by setting up your workstation so that you’re standing or sitting about arm’s length away from the monitor.
- Better posture – When you use a standing desk or ensure that your setup is in an ideal ergonomic position, you can help prevent the all too common phenomenon of slouching over your keyboard. Over time, this creates healthy habits, which will reduce tension and help you focus.
Mount-It!—Your Guide to an Ergonomic Office
Mounting a desk, monitor, or television is fairly straightforward from one model to another. In most cases, setup can be done in just a few minutes with limited tools. While steps will vary between models, the general process remains the same.
Whether you need it for your business, home office, or educational environment, a mounted desk is the optimal small space saver. At Mount-It! We offer more than 500 different mounts, stands, and desks that can instantly upgrade your workspace and home.
We’re not just a TV mount company, we’re an ergonomic office equipment supplier, catering to all of your space saving needs. Whether it’s sit stand mounted desks, kids desk, laptop stands, wall mounts for TV, improved home entertainment, or kid-sized equipment, we provide the most affordable, ergonomically sound options on the market.
Mount-It! MI-7905 Manual.