Are you trying to figure out whether to use a television wall mount or stand to display your TV? While TV stands used to be the primary way to display a TV, wall-mounted TV’s are surging in popularity because of their space-saving features and attractive appearance. We’re here to help you decide what the best method of displaying your TV is for your lifestyle and the space your TV will be in. To help you make an informed decision, we’ve created this comparison guide on TV wall mounts vs. TV stands. We will also be wrapping up with the pros and cons of each.
Whether you have just purchased a TV, recently moved, or are looking to redesign a space, deciding between a TV wall mount or stand will drive many of your future design decisions you will soon make. Deciding between these two options can be a challenge since they each have benefits and drawbacks.
Wall Mount vs TV Stand
There are many reasons why TV wall mounts are becoming more popular for many individuals. Many TVs are now thin and lightweight enough to be easily mounted and come with holes for TV mounting, but installation can require additional effort. Below are a handful of the pros and cons of TV wall mounts.
The Pros Of a Mounted TV vs TV Stand
- Space Saving and Protected from Children and Pets: One of the most significant benefits of a wall-mounted TV is that because the TV is mounted to the wall, there is no need for a bulky TV stand to take up floor space and the TV is safely out of reach of children and pets. Not only does mounting your TV on the wall with a bracket help protect the screen, but it also makes the room feel more spacious and opens up design possibilities1 .
- Sleek and Modern Finish: If you are looking for your space to feel sleek and modern, a TV wall mount is the right choice for you. Not only is it an ideal option for smaller spaces, but it is also a stylistic choice that is both practical and aesthetically appealing2 .
- Easily Customizable to Create the Ideal Viewing Experience: Unlike a TV stand, a TV wall mount allows you to customize where your TV is so that it is perfect for your viewing experience and the orientation of the room and furniture. You can choose a specific height for your TV wall mount and allow for additional tilting or positioning for the best viewing experience. If you’re wondering how to choose a TV wall mount, the features of the wall mount and its customizability will be key to consider3 .
The Cons Of a TV Mount vs Stand
- Additional Effort for Installation: One of the potential drawbacks of a mounted TV vs. a TV stand is that it requires additional effort to install, and it must be installed correctly to have sufficient strength to bear the weight of the TV and wall mount. However, it is not significantly more effort than a TV stand. Check out our TV installation guide for more information
TV Stand vs Wall Mount
Universal TV stands have long been one of the most common ways to display a TV. With ample storage and a bigger footprint than their wall-mounted counterparts, TV stands with mounts have both benefits and drawbacks to consider as well.
The Pros Of a TV Stand vs. a Mounted TV
- Additional Storage Space: One of the main benefits of a TV stand vs. a mount is that it offers additional storage space for DVD players, cable boxes, gaming consoles, and more. If you have many different items that need to be tucked away, a TV stand gives you a safe place to put them4 .
- Easy Access to Cables and Sockets: Unlike a TV wall mount where cables and wires are often run through the wall for a clean look, a TV stand offers easier access to cables and outlets5 .
The Cons Of a TV Stand vs. Wall Mount
- Takes Up More Space: While TV stands have more storage space, they also take up significantly more space in the room, which can make the room feel smaller and more cramped, especially if you have larger furniture pieces6 .
- Potential For TV to Be Knocked Over: If you have pets or children, placing your TV on a TV stand can place it at greater risk for being knocked over. In addition, if your TV stand is not fastened to the wall, it can present a potential safety hazard because of its risk of tipping over if climbed on or knocked into7 .
- Less Customizable: While a TV wall mount gives you the ability to select the height that works best for you and the space, many TV stands are around the same height and offer much less customization to optimize your viewing experience8 .
How To Decorate A Wall Behind A TV Stand?
Decorating the wall behind a TV stand can add visual interest to your living room or entertainment space. Here are some ideas for you to consider:
Gallery Wall: A gallery wall is a great way to add personality to your space. You can use a mix of family photos, artwork, and other decorative pieces to create a cohesive display.
Shelves: Adding shelves to the wall behind your TV stand can provide additional storage space and an opportunity to display decorative objects. You can use floating shelves, bookshelves, or a combination of both.
Wallpaper or Accent Wall: An accent wall can create a focal point in your room. You can use wallpaper, paint, or a mural to add interest and color to the wall behind your TV stand.
Artwork: Large-scale artwork can add drama and color to your room. You can choose a single piece or create a gallery wall of artwork.
Mirrors: Using mirrors can add depth and light to a room. You can choose to use one large mirror or create a group of smaller mirrors to add interest.
Remember to balance the scale of the décor with the size of the TV stand and TV to create a visually appealing look.
How To Decorate a TV Stand?
Decorating a TV stand can be a great way to add personality and style to your living room or entertainment space. Here are some ideas for decorating a TV stand that you can consider:
Add Greenery: Adding plants or flowers to your TV stand can bring a pop of color and freshness to your space. You can use a mix of small potted plants, succulents, or fresh flowers in a vase.
Display Decorative Objects: You can use decorative objects to add interest and style to your TV stand. You can use a mix of items such as books, candles, decorative boxes, or sculptures to create a visually appealing display.
Use Trays and Baskets: Using trays can help organize the items on your TV stand and create a cohesive look. You can use a mix of decorative trays or woven baskets to keep your remote controls, coasters, and other small items in place.
Add Lighting: Adding lighting to your TV stand can create a cozy ambiance in your living room. You can use a mix of table lamps, floor lamps, or string lights to create a warm and inviting atmosphere.
Create a Theme: You can use a theme to tie your decor together. For example, you can use a beach theme by adding seashells, coral, and driftwood to your TV stand.
Remember to balance the décor on your TV stand with the size of your TV and the rest of your living room furniture. Keep the TV stand clutter-free and use decorative objects in moderation to create a stylish and cohesive look.
Are TV Wall Mounts Universal?
TV wall mounts are not universal, there are different types of wall mounts that are designed to fit different sizes and types of TVs. When shopping for a TV wall mount, it's important to make sure that the mount is compatible with your TV's size and weight, therefore it is recommended to do some research and consult with a professional prior to purchasing a TV wall mount.
Most TV wall mounts have a weight capacity rating, so it's essential to choose a mount that can support your TV's weight. Additionally, the VESA pattern (the distance between the mounting holes on the back of your TV) should match the mounting plate on the wall mount. The larger and heavier your TV, the larger the VESA pattern is likely to be.
It's important to read the product specifications carefully to ensure that the mount is compatible with your TV. Some TV wall mounts might even be designed for specific TV brands or models, so it's essential to double-check the compatibility before making a purchase.
Explore Mount-It!’s collection of TV mounts and find the best fit for your TV.
What To Put Under A Wall Mounted TV?
Under a wall-mounted TV, you can put a variety of decorative and functional elements to add style and practicality to your living space. Here are some ideas for you:
Floating Shelves: Floating shelves are a great way to create additional storage space for books, decorative objects, or electronics. They can be installed at different heights and sizes to add visual interest to the wall.
Decorative Objects: You can place decorative objects, such as vases, sculptures, or candles, on a table or shelf underneath the TV to add visual interest and personality to the space.
Media Equipment: You can use a media rack or shelf to store your cable box, game consoles, or other electronic devices such as speakers. This can help to keep the area organized and clutter-free.
Wall Art: You can hang artwork or photographs underneath the TV to create a gallery wall or focal point in the room. This can add color and interest to the space.
Remember to choose elements that complement your room's overall style and color scheme.
Wall Mount TV vs TV Stand
To wrap it up, while both a wall bracket and a stand for your television offer their own benefits, what it boils down to is your personal situation. Which one do you think will be a better fit for your household? If you have a tight space, mounting your TV may be the best option for you. If you'd rather hide cords and cables, a stand may work just fine. Factoring in the pros and cons of each will ultimately help you make your final choice.