TV Wall Mount or Stand: An In-Depth Comparison
Are you trying to figure out whether to use a television wall mount or stand to display your TV? While TV stands used to be the primary way to display a TV, wall-mounted TV’s are surging in popularity because of their space-saving features and attractive appearance. We’re here to help you decide what the best method of displaying your TV is for your lifestyle and the space your TV will be in. To help you make an informed decision, we’ve created this comparison guide on TV wall mounts vs. TV stands. We will also be wrapping up with the pros and cons of each.
Whether you have just purchased a TV, recently moved, or are looking to redesign a space, deciding between a TV wall mount or stand will drive many of your future design decisions you will soon make. Deciding between these two options can be a challenge since they each have benefits and drawbacks.
TV Wall Mounts
There are many reasons why TV wall mounts are becoming more popular for many individuals. Many TVs are now thin and lightweight enough to be easily mounted and come with holes for TV mounting, but installation can require additional effort. Below are a handful of the pros and cons of TV wall mounts.
- Space Saving and Protected from Children and Pets: One of the most significant benefits of a wall-mounted TV is that because the TV is mounted to the wall, there is no need for a bulky TV stand to take up floor space and the TV is safely out of reach of children and pets. Not only does mounting your TV on the wall with a bracket help protect the screen, but it also makes the room feel more spacious and opens up design possibilities1 .
- Sleek and Modern Finish: If you are looking for your space to feel sleek and modern, a TV wall mount is the right choice for you. Not only is it an ideal option for smaller spaces, but it is also a stylistic choice that is both practical and aesthetically appealing2 .
- Easily Customizable to Create the Ideal Viewing Experience: Unlike a TV stand, a TV wall mount allows you to customize where your TV is so that it is perfect for your viewing experience and the orientation of the room and furniture. You can choose a specific height for your TV wall mount and allow for additional tilting or positioning for the best viewing experience. If you’re wondering how to choose a TV wall mount, the features of the wall mount and its customizability will be key to consider3 .
- Additional Effort for Installation: One of the potential drawbacks of mounting a TV on the wall is that it requires additional effort to install, and it must be installed correctly to have sufficient strength to bear the weight of the TV and wall mount. However, it is not significantly more effort than a TV stand. Check out our TV installation guide for more information
Universal TV stands have long been one of the most common ways to display a TV. With ample storage and a bigger footprint than their wall-mounted counterparts, TV stands with mounts have both benefits and drawbacks to consider as well.
- Additional Storage Space: One of the main benefits of a TV stand is that it offers additional storage space for DVD players, cable boxes, gaming consoles, and more. If you have many different items that need to be tucked away, a TV stand gives you a safe place to put them4 .
- Easy Access to Cables and Sockets: Unlike a TV wall mount where cables and wires are often run through the wall for a clean look, a TV stand offers easier access to cables and outlets5 .
- Takes Up More Space: While TV stands have more storage space, they also take up significantly more space in the room, which can make the room feel smaller and more cramped, especially if you have larger furniture pieces6 .
- Potential For TV to Be Knocked Over: If you have pets or children, placing your TV on a TV stand can place it at greater risk for being knocked over. In addition, if your TV stand is not fastened to the wall, it can present a potential safety hazard because of its risk of tipping over if climbed on or knocked into7 .
- Less Customizable: While a TV wall mount gives you the ability to select the height that works best for you and the space, many TV stands are around the same height and offer much less customization to optimize your viewing experience8 .
While both a wall bracket and a stand for your television offer their own benefits, what it boils down to is your personal situation. Which one do you think will be a better fit for your household? If you have a tight space, mounting your TV may be the best option for you. If you'd rather hide cords and cables, a stand may work just fine. Factoring in the pros and cons of each will ultimately help you make your final choice.